What is it about guys and lists? It doesn't seem to me that women have the same compulsion to compile lists of things and then rank them from 1 to 10, 1 to 100, or even 1 to 500 like men do. So what are three retired male educators who get together every few months to listen to and discuss songs from Rock and Roll's first golden decade going to do? Ron Witucki, John Len, and yours truly decided to make lists of our favorite tunes, of course, and then come up with a system (this part is probably a teacher thing) to determine 25 great songs in a particular genre. Why? Because it's fun for guys to do this type of thing.
We agreed to start off with Doo Wop, since we are all big fans. Independently, we we each put together a list of our 50 favorite Doo Wop songs. When we met, each of our selections was awarded a point value according to it's place on our lists. 50 points for # 1, 49 points for # 2, and so on. In addition, any song that appeared on all three of our lists would be awarded a bonus of 50 points. A song that appeared on any two of our lists was awarded a bonus of 20 points. The system seemed to work pretty well. Only four songs were on all of our lists, and they are the top four songs among the 25 Great Doo Wops listed below.
No system is perfect, however. Dion DiMucci recorded some of the era's best Doo Wop with both the Belmonts and the Del Satins, but he is not on the list. This is despite the fact that 6 of his recordings were among the 111 different songs that made up our three individual lists - the most by far from any artist. The problem was that each of us selected different Dion songs. I guess that's the price he paid for having so many great songs. So with apologies to Dion, this is our Top 25 Doo Wop Songs.
01. In The Still Of The Nite - The Five Satins
02. Come Go With Me - The Del Vikings
03. Blue Moon - The Marcels
04. One Summer Night - The Danleers
05. I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
06. Pretty Little Angel Eyes - Curtis Lee & The Halos
07.Sea Of Love - Phil Phillips & The Twilights
08. (Tie) Oh What A Nite - The Dells and 16 Candles - The Crests
10. My True Story - The Jive Five
11. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners
12. Tonight (Could Be The NIght) - The Velvets
13. Happy, Happy Birthday Baby - The Tune Weavers
14. (Tie) Get A Job - The Silhouettes and Duke Of Earl - Gene Chandler & The Dukays
16. There's A Moon Out Tonight - The Capris
17. Remember Then - The Earls
18. Book Of Love - The Monotones
19. Heartaches - The Marcels
20. Why Do Fools Fall In Love - The Teenagers
21. Runaround - The Regents
22. (Tie) Rama Lama Ding Dong - The Edsels and Barbara Ann - The Regents
24. Morse Code Of Love - The Capris
25. Stay - Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs
None of the above artists are from Michigan. Doo Wop was not as big in Michigan as in other areas of the country, but below are seven classic Doo Wop songs by Michigan artists that you should definitely check out.
I Love You - The Volumes (Volume's)
Village Of Love - Nathaniel Mayer & The Fabulous Twilights
(Just Like) Romeo & Juliet - The Reflections
You're So Fine - The Falcons
The Wind - The Diablos
Got A Job - The Miracles
My Beloved - The Satintones